Sunday, June 17, 2007

Leg 4 - Spooner Summit to Kingsbury Grade

Got that sweet runner's high a couple of times today, when your legs are churning away, you're bouncing over rocks and roots, and it feels like running is what you were designed to do. Like it would feel weird to stop running. Anyway - it was a pretty good day.

Started out from home a little after 6, and got on the trail at 7:05. (The next few legs are going to have loooong drive/shuttle times.)


Started out uphill again (recurring theme) for the first five miles. There were some places where I could run, so I did, for short spurts. Here's an example of one of those (sorry it's kind of bouncy...)


Had a few views of Tahoe through the trees here, this is one:


Then I hit the high point of the day's section, and thought it was going to be flat and downhill from there on out. Here's the flat section:


And a good panorama from near there:


So it ended up being a little more uphill than I had expected, back to the trailhead. Ran what I could and walked a bit. Saw a few people as I got near the trailhead, and a bunch more getting ready to start out.


I wanted to connect to the next trailhead (so noone can say I didn't do the WHOLE thing) so had a 3.4 mile on-road slog to the next trailhead. That, too, was much more uphill that I expected. Ends up, the next trailhead i sright underneath one of the Heavenly lifts.


Here's me there, just for documentation's sake...


Ah, a good equipment addition this time: I have seen people on the trail and a races wearing these trail running gaiters, and wanted to get a pair, but the person who makes them only does them in wild colors. So, I decided to make some myself. Got some fabric (4-way stretch lycra) and whipped some up. They worked great! If I had to make another pair, I would adjust the dimensions a little, but these did their job just fine. No more emptying my shoes twice per run!


Numbers:
Trail distance: 15.6 mi
Time on trail:3:10
Time running: 1:40

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

Looks like you got your panorama shot to work- that's an awesome picture of the lake! What a fresh clean day. :) I also liked your video (the second one- the first one didn't work). I'm glad your gaitors work- they look like professional quality. Did you find a pattern, or did you just cut out something you saw in your head?

Another fast run- that's a quick 15 miles! Love runner's high- doesn't happen nearly enough...