Monday, June 11, 2007

Third Leg - Tahoe Meadows to Spooner Summit

Longest day yet; 23 point something miles. Overall downhill, although there were a couple of big uphill sections. Had company again today, too - Chris picked me up at about 6:30 and we drove to the Mt. Rose Meadows (Tahoe Meadows) Trailhead.


Started out running - no uphill to start out this time. (Well, a little, but we ran through it.) In fact, we ran for about the firs ten miles - an hour and a half of running! It was nice to knock off so much of it early. Along the way, we had a few nice lake views like this, but most of the time were in the trees.



(Sorry, my panorama software that worked so well last time is giving me problems all of a sudden...)

And had to pause for some heroic tahoe shots like this:


Then we had a big uphill that we hiked, a flat section that we ran, and another big uphill that we had to hike most of. Started running near the top of the second big uphill - here's Chris taking off:


For quite a while now, we had amazing views of Marlette Lake and Lake Tahoe - again, these were planned as a panorama, but - well, technical difficulties...



That was about the highest point of the day; from there it was a 6-mile mostly downhill to Spooner Summit. Pretty fun to just let it out on the downhill at that point, but my legs were definitely feeling it toward the end...


Numbers:
Trail distance - 19.5 miles
Time on trail: 4:20
Time moving: 4:10
Time running: 3:00

6 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

The second picture you posted is awesome! I clicked on it to get the whole effect, and it is such a beautiful view- I love the clouds- I could set this as my wallpaper on my computer and then just dream about being outside. :) You guys must have been going pretty quick to finish 10 miles in an hour and a half- like 9 miles an hour? That's fast! Nice one-

BTW- noticed you weren't wearing your transitional glasses- guess you didn't need them since it was overcast...

Turi Becker said...

Yeah, I realized halfway up that I hadn't put on my "running glasses", but it was overcast, so it didn't really matter...

10 miles in 1:30 is more like 6.3 mph, or 9 minute miles. Not quite that impressive, but still good for a hiking trail.

Anonymous said...

To quote Ken: "damn...he's fast." I said, yeah, well, you're a SuperLibrarian. It's part of your magic powers. Heh.

Turi Becker said...

Well, again, if I were a serious trail runner, I'd laugh at the speed. I sure had a hard time keeping up with Chris, especially near the end. I'm sure he was holding back a little for me.

Anonymous said...

I love the "heroic" photo.
-PCT hiker

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.